Winners of HP Smart Business Awards announced
2013 Startups 100 company Eyetease amongst UK start-ups recognised for contribution to UK economy
Office equipment firm HP last night revealed the winners of its Smart Business Awards, celebrating the achievements of small and medium sized businesses across the UK.
Announced at a ceremony at London’s Serpentine Sackler Gallery, the winners were unveiled from a shortlist of 21 companies within six different categories; Business Growth, Community, Innovation, Next Generation, Skills Creation and Social Media, as well as an overall prize of Smart Business of the Year.
The top prize was awarded to Gloucestershire-based advanced engineering start-up Versarian who won a package of HP products and services as well as the support of a HP business mentor for a year.
Winners in the category rounds included taxitop advertising firm Eyetease Media, featured in the 2012 and 2013 Startups 100, which received the award for Innovation as well as charitable flip flop brand Gandys which took home the award for Social Media following its effective ‘Orphans for Orphans’ initiative.
The six category winners received a HP product of choice for their business along with an assortment of prizes provided by sponsors The Prince’s Trust, Business in the Community, Enterprise Nation, LinkedIn and HSBC.
The full shortlist of winners and finalists are as follows:
- HP Smart Business of the Year: Versarien (winner).
- Business Growth: Postcode Anywhere (winner), Luxury For Less (highly commended), 4D Datacentres (highly commended), Turtle Tots.
- Community: My Time CIC (winner), Altogether Travel (highly commended), A-Star Sports.
- Innovation: Eyetease Media (winner), OblinArk, Laundry Republic.
- Next Generation: IEM Music (winner), Just Pose! (highly commended), Living the Dream, Make it Social.
- Skills Creation: London Jewellery School (winner), Networking Mummies (highly commended), Jarrang.
- Social Media: Gandys (winner), Art is the Cure (highly commended), Ingenious Britain, Night Zookeeper.
Susan Bowen, UK and Ireland chief of staff at HP, commented: “On behalf of HP, I would like to congratulate our winners and shortlisted companies.
“The shortlist is a testament to the incredible energy and dynamism within the UK’s small and medium-sized enterprise community.
“We look forward to seeing these businesses continue to grow and flourish.”