Prominent entrepreneurs back Stronger In Europe campaign
Kelly Hoppen, Jacqueline Gold, Richard Reed and Martha Lane Fox have signed open letter supporting the UK remaining in the European Union
197 business leaders from across “every sector and region” of the country have singed an open letter to The Times backing the Stronger In Europe campaign and calling for the UK to remain in the EU.
The letter supported prime minister David Cameron’s Brexit renegotiation and commented that Cameron “has secured a commitment from the EU to reduce the burden of regulation, deepen the single market and to sign off crucial international trade deals”.
Among the signatories are the heads of some of the UK’s biggest employers and corporations including Travelex president Lloyd Dorfman; AirAsia CEO Tony Fernandes; Ann Summers CEO Jacqueline Gold, Sir Martin Sorrell, and Richard Reed; co-founder of Innocent Drinks and Jam Jar Investments.
The letter finished: “Business needs unrestricted access to the European market of 500 million people in order to continue to grow, invest and create jobs. We believe that leaving the EU would deter investment and threaten jobs. It would put the economy at risk. Britain will be stronger, safer and better off remaining a member of the European Union.”
A number of high profile female entrepreneurs have also signed the letter including Lastminute.com founder Martha Lane Fox, Love Home Swap CEO Debbie Wosskow, former Dragons’ Den star Kelly Hoppen, MOBO awards founder Kanya King, and Kathryn Parsons; co-founder of Decoded.
In January, 50 of the UK’s prominent female business leaders signed a similar letter urging Britons to remain in the European Union.
The letter comes after mayor of London Boris Johnson revealed he would be supporting the campaign for Britain to leave the EU on Sunday, igniting an open dispute between him and the prime minister.
Other entrepreneurs and business leaders who have signed the letter include:
- Melanie Goldsmith, co-founder of Smith & Sinclair
- Charlie Thuillier, co-founder of Oppo ice cream
- Jane Field, founder of Jonny’s Sister
- Kasim Ali, director of Waterloo Tea
- Mary Quicke, managing director of Quickes Traditional
- Una Driscoll, managing director of Belt up Kidz
- Helen Gibbons, director of Bizlang
- Professor Geeta Nargund, founder and CEO of CREATE Health
- Katharine Pooley, founder of Katharine Pooley Interior Design
- Clare Hornby, founder of ME+EM.
- Fraser Smeaton, co-founder of Morphsuits
- Geeta Sidhu-Robb, founder of Nosh Detox
- Mark Lyndon, director of Signature Marketing
- Jonathan Grubin, CEO of SoPost Ltd
- Doug Squires, director of Squires Gear and Engineering
- Margo Marrone, co-founder of The Organic Pharmacy
- Lady Ruth Rogers, owner of The River Café
- Helana Boas, co-founder of Bodas