The Start-Up Series: Your chance to receive £150,000 equity investment
The Start-Up Series competition searches for the brightest entrepreneurs with the smartest ideas to qualify for seed investments from a total of £3.6m equity funding...
The UK’s largest ever seed funding search competition – The Start-Up Series – is now open for entries for February!
Winners will qualify for funding from a Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme (SEIS) fund created by Worth Capital which totals £3.6m.
The Start-Up Series competition is now bigger than ever before with an extension to the original entry criteria…
To help support more early-stage UK businesses secure the seed funding they need to get their idea off the ground, the competition is accepting entries from both business-to-consumer (B2C) and business-to-business (B2B) start-ups and will award funding to TWO businesses every month.
Launched by Startups.co.uk in partnership with Worth Capital, The Start-Up Series is a series of monthly competitions.
Every month, start-ups will be selected to be put forward for up to £150,000 seed funding – subject to terms – from Worth Capital, and will also win press coverage on Startups.co.uk.
The latest Start-Up Series competition runs from Thursday 1 February 2018 to Wednesday 14 February 2018. Enter NOW!
Where will the investment come from?
The investment comes from a dedicated SEIS fund, launched specifically to back the qualified winners of the series of competitions.
About Worth Capital
Worth Capital has a proven track record in helping new entrepreneurs obtain funds and expertise to help turn their ideas into successful, sustainable businesses.
Through previous competitions with the likes of Facebook and Metro, Worth Capital has invested over £600,000 into start-up businesses. Previous winners Tart and Splendy Entertainment have gone on to raise additional funding at more than double their original valuation.
Worth Capital founders Paul Soanes and Matthew Cushen are brand, retail and innovation experts and experienced angel investors with over 30 seed investments between then.
Who is eligible for the February Start-Up Series?
The Start-Up Series is for early-stage businesses.
Business owners would want to receive funding from investors in exchange for equity in their business. And because the fund will be for SEIS investments the business needs to satisfy some criteria set by HMRC:
- Your business must be UK-based and you must be a UK resident – you must be over 18 years old at the time of entry
- Your business must have been trading for less than 21 months and have less than £200,000 in gross assets
- You must employ fewer than 25 staff
- Certain financial services and property business are unlikely to qualify.
Why should I apply for the February Start-Up Series competition?
This is a first-of its kind opportunity to support the best of UK start-ups; there are a number of reasons why you should apply for The Start-Up Series:
- Unrivalled opportunity: Up to £150,000 of seed funding, with each monthly competition resulting in a winner
- Support: Each winner will have support from Worth Capital via an experienced director
- Media coverage: Winning a high profile competition and the exposure that generates is good when talking to customers, potential employees and future investors.
Read this interview with December 2016 winner Not Dogs, one year on from winning, on how The Start-Up Series has helped their business.
How can I apply for The Start-Up Series?
The latest competition window is February 1 2018 to February 14 2018.
You can register your interest on The Start-Up Series website and then you will be contacted by email and provided with a link to the competition application form. The initial application is very simple and quick, just a few details and a two-minute video or two-page document.
If you are successful in getting to the next round, you’ll be asked for some more information.
For a detailed timeline of how the application process works, click here.
Entrants will be sourced and promoted by Startups.co.uk and every winner will be chosen by Worth Capital. Funding of the winners will be subject to satisfactory completion of due diligence and approval by the fund’s investment manager.
Who are the winners of The Start-Up Series competition so far?
We’ve unveiled several fantastic winners so far and these include:
- Disruptive property start-up Rental Step (October 2016 winner)
- Vegetarian hot dog brand Not Dogs (November 2016)
- Baby food puree product Nuripod (December 2016)
- Alcohol-free wine and beer brand Outfox (January 2017)
- Construction e-commerce platform Builders Bay (February 2017)
- Online ‘sleep well’ marketplace MYZA (March 2017)
- 18-35 travel club Together Travel (April 2017)
To find out more about our winners, their experience of the competition process and what winning £150,000 – plus business support and media coverage – meant to them, click here.
So what are you waiting for? Enter your business for the February Start-Up Series competition here. Applications close at midnight on Wednesday 14 February 2018!