The Start-Up Series: Your chance to receive equity investment
The Start-Up Series competition searches for the brightest entrepreneurs with the smartest ideas to qualify for seed investments of £150,000 - £250,000
The UK’s largest ever seed funding search competition – The Start-Up Series – is now open for entries for April!
Winners will qualify for funding from a regulated fund created by Worth Capital & Amersham Investment Management which invests in SEIS & EIS eligible businesses.
To help support early-stage UK businesses secure the seed funding they need to get their idea off the ground, the competition is accepting entries from both business-to-consumer (B2C) and business-to-business (B2B) start-ups.
Launched by Startups.co.uk in partnership with investment promoters Worth Capital, The Start-Up Series is a series of monthly competitions.
Every month, one start-up will be selected to be put forward for £150,000-£250,000 of seed funding – subject to terms – from Worth Capital, and will also win press coverage on Startups.co.uk.
The latest Start-Up Series competition runs from Monday 1 April 2019 to Sunday 14 April 2019. Enter NOW!
Where will the investment come from?
The investment comes from a dedicated EIS & SEIS fund, launched specifically to back the qualified winners of the series of competitions.
About Worth Capital
Worth Capital has a proven track record in helping new entrepreneurs obtain funds and expertise to help turn their ideas into successful, sustainable businesses.
Worth Capital founders Paul Soanes and Matthew Cushen are brand, retail and innovation experts and experienced angel investors with over 40 seed investments between then.
Who is eligible for the April Start-Up Series?
The Start-Up Series is for early-stage & growth businesses.
Founders should be looking to receive funding from investors in exchange for equity in their business. Because the investment will come from an EIS & SEIS fund, businesses considering entering need to satisfy the following criteria set by HMRC:
- You must be a UK resident and run a UK-based business.
- You must be over 18 years-old at the time of entry.
- Certain financial services and property businesses are unlikely to qualify.
Why should I apply for the April Start-Up Series competition?
This is a first-of its kind opportunity to support the best of UK start-ups; there are a number of reasons why you should apply for The Start-Up Series:
- Unrivalled opportunity: Up to £250,000 of seed funding, with each monthly competition resulting in a winner
- Support: Each winner will have support from Worth Capital via an experienced investment director
- Media coverage: Winning a high profile competition and the exposure that generates is good when talking to customers, potential employees and future investors.
Read this interview with December 2016 winner Not Dogs, one year on from winning, on how The Start-Up Series has helped their business.
How can I apply for The Start-Up Series?
The latest competition window is Monday 1 April 2019 to Sunday 14 April 2019.
You can register your interest on The Start-Up Series website and then you will be contacted by email and provided with a link to the competition application form. The initial application is very simple and quick, just a few details and a two-minute video or two-page document.
If you are successful in getting to the next round, you’ll be asked for some more information.
For a detailed timeline of how the application process works, click here.
Entrants will be sourced and promoted by Startups.co.uk and every winner will be chosen by Worth Capital. Funding of the winner will be subject to satisfactory completion of due diligence and approval by the fund’s investment manager.
Who are the winners of The Start-Up Series competition so far?
We’ve unveiled several fantastic winners so far and these include:
- Disruptive property start-up RentalStep
- Vegetarian hot dog brand Not Dogs
- Baby food puree product Nuripod
- Alcohol-free wine and beer brand Outfox
- Construction e-commerce platform Builders Bay
- Online ‘sleep well’ marketplace MYZA
- 18-35s travel club Tribe
- On-demand blow dry service The Blow Dry Pass
- Accommodation website Nightly.travel
- Custom motorcycle helmet decoration service Moto Tattoo
- Insulated concrete form supplier UNiBLOCK
- Moving home packing supplies on demand The Moving Home Warehouse
To find out more about our winners, their experience of the competition process and what winning up to £250,000 – plus business support and media coverage – meant to them, click here.
So what are you waiting for? Enter your business for the April Start-Up Series competition here. Applications close at midnight on Sunday 14 April.