Get the latest Startup news and information

Please verify before subscribing.

Young entrepreneurs: Aaron Dicks, Impression

The 25-year-old bringing a fresh, tech focused approach to digital marketing

Name: Aaron Dicks
Company: Impression
Age: 25

After working in marketing and web development for a large energy company in Nottingham and hiring a number of agencies, Aaron Dicks spotted a gap in the market for a digital marketing service that optimises the use of available technologies to “achieve outstanding results”.

Alongside fellow student and co-founder Tom Craig, he launched Impression: a digital marketing agency that works closely with its clients to deliver integrated campaigns, web design and convert “clicks to customers”. In 2014, following a year of working evenings and weekends, the duo secured enough clients and revenue potential to take the business full-time, rent an office and start building a team.

Today, Impression makes profit every month, with roughly 70% of its income coming from retainer work, and the remaining 30% coming from project work carried out by its development team. This allows the company to source new clients on a monthly basis as it seeks to build its local and international reputation.

The 20-strong team turned over an impressive £500,000 in 2015, and is already on track to double that figure this year. So far the company has been entirely self-funded and reinvested any profits into growing and expanding the business. Dicks says he plans to consolidate Impression’s local presence in the East Midlands before increasing its presence nationally as he seeks to build a market leading reputation within the sector.

While it may be smaller than the larger, more established media agencies, Impression thinks of itself as a nimble, flexible business, born into the digital era and quick to adapt.

With a talented young entrepreneur like Dicks at the helm and two nearby universities from which to draw talent, the company – and the young entrepreneurs behind it – are sure to thrive in a sector that demands fresh blood.

Henry Williams
Henry Williams

Henry has been writing for since 2015, covering everything from business finance and web builders to tax and red tape. He’s also contributed to many of our industry-renowned annual indexes, including Startups 100 and Young Guns, and created a number of the site’s popular how to guides. Before joining the team, he reviewed films for a culture website, and still harbours ambitions of being a screenwriter.


(will not be published)