How to enter
Here's how you can enter the Startups Awards...
1. Entries for the 14th annual Startups Awards, run by Startups.co.uk – the UK’s largest independent business advice resource – open 12 June 2017. To be eligible to enter companies must have started to trade no earlier than 1 August 2013 and no later than 31 July 2016.
- Start your entry submission here
- Enter your email address at the above link and you’ll automatically download a Word doc of the entry form that you can complete offline
- Alternatively, if you’ve signed up to Startups (which you can do here), you can begin your entry form online, save it and return to complete it later
2. Think about which categories you would like to enter:
- This year there are 14 different categories available to enter (view all the categories here)
- You are permitted to enter as many categories as you like for one administration fee of £50 plus VAT.
3. To fill in your form:
- Section 1 – The Basics covers the company name, contact details, launch date and a 100-150 word elevator pitch (what the business does and the industry in which it operates); hopefully details that will be at your fingertips. It’s a good idea to save your progress at this point.
- Section 2 – About Your Business is your chance to tell us in your own words what makes your business a winning entry for the category or categories for which you are applying. Please use no more than 1500 words.
- When completing Section 2, the judges are looking to see:
- How your business makes money: Avoiding industry or technical jargon, explain in the simplest terms how your business model works – how does your company make its money? Is turnover the value of sales processed by your business / site / platform or the revenue from which your overheads / costs are deducted?
- What is unique about your business: What differentiates you from competitors? Have you changed industry practices, produced innovative products or services or found a new route to market?
- Evidence of success: Please provide evidence of achievement in excess of targets and key milestones for the business. Has revenue / profit / market share exceeded expected levels? Who are your clients and what proof is there of strong customer satisfaction? Have you made a major impact on your sector or local community?
- Demonstration of sustainability: If your business is not already making a profit, please tell us when you expect it to become profitable. Here we require information to be comfortable that you will be able to raise enough money to continue in business long enough to get to that sustainable point. How much money have you already raised? Have your current investors, if any, suggested that they will invest again if needed? When will you become cash flow positive? We would also like to see an outline of how you intend to drive growth in the next 12 months.
- Why the business should win: This should be specifically related to the category or categories you are entering
- Section 3 – The Financials includes your turnover for the last year (please enter n/a if your business is younger than one year old) and projections for the current year and next year. All of these figures are used exclusively for judging purposes and remain confidential, but please do speak to us if you have any concerns or need any clarification. Alongside the criteria above, judges will be comparing the extent to which businesses have demonstrated excellence in their financial performance.
- Section 4 – The Categories allows you to select the categories for which you wish to apply. You can apply for as many as you like; Startups also reserve the right, after consultation with the entrant, to include submissions in additional categories which they feel may be appropriate.
4. Make payment:
- When you’re happy with your application, click submit and you will be redirected to a payment page to make a one-off entry admin fee of £50 plus VAT. Please note that we can’t process your entry form until we have received payment. Please read the refund policy on our FAQ page.
5. You are welcome to send us press reviews, promotional material, product samples and any other relevant supporting material that you believe will enhance your submission. We will not be able to return these. You can email them to the address above, or send them to: Startups Awards c/o Startups.co.uk/MVF Global, Imperial Works, Perren Street, London, N4 3EN.
6. You are also welcome to send digital supporting evidence and/or send us a film up to two minutes long on ‘Why you should win the Startups Awards’, to enhance your entry. chances of winning. You can either include links within your entry form or send these directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Final completed entry forms must be submitted by midnight on Friday 22nd September 2017.
1. Our panel of experts will judge entries and a shortlist of up to eight businesses per category will be drawn up and notified by 9 October 2017.
2. The winner of each category will be announced and presented with their award at the awards ceremony at Royal Garden Hotel, London on the evening of Thursday 30 November 2017.
To be eligible to enter all companies must:
- Have started to trade no earlier than 1 August 2013 and no later than 31 July 2016.
- Be ‘independently owned’. This defined as a business which is substantially owned by its founders and/or a group of independent investors; is not quoted on AIM or any other stock market; and is not a subsidiary or associated company of another business.
- Be UK based and UK founded.