Personal trainer insurance – Keeping your business in shape

Personal trainer insurance protects your business should the unexpected happen. Find out more about the covers available when you take out personal trainer insurance

Our experts

We are a team of writers, experimenters and researchers providing you with the best advice with zero bias or partiality.
Written and reviewed by:

A 2017 report says that the UK fitness industry will continue to go from strength to strength.

With new gyms opening and more and more people focused on getting in shape, there’s never been a better time to be a personal trainer (you can read more about the steps needed to get started in our guide on how to become a personal trainer).

And, as a personal trainer, you should consider the right insurance to make sure you’re covered should the unexpected happen.

Why do personal trainers need insurance?

You’re focused on getting your clients into shape. Because they’re coming to you to improve their fitness and health, you need to be at the top of your game.

But even with expert care, focus and attention-to-detail, a client may still get injured during a training session. Accidents aren’t unheard of, considering you’re working with heavy equipment and pushing people to their limits.

If something went wrong, insurance could protect your livelihood.

What insurance do personal trainers need?

As your business is centred around your clients, public liability insurance or personal trainer liability insurance is likely to be your key cover.

And if you have staff, you’re legally required to have employers’ liability insurance.

Considering the nature of your business, other covers to think about include equipment insurance and personal accident insurance.

You’ll usually be able to tailor your policy to the specifics of your business, adding different covers as necessary. We go into more detail below.

Public liability insurance for personal trainers

This is often the key cover for businesses that come into contact with members of the public. It can cover you if a member of the public suffered an injury or damage to their property because of your business.

Imagine if a client fell while performing something that you’d talked them through. They could bring a compensation claim against you, alleging that you didn’t explain the move properly.

Or, consider if a client dropped some equipment and caused damage to the gym or property you’re training at.

Compensation claims can be costly. It’s not unheard of for them to run into the millions of pounds, so having insurance in place can protect you. Most insurers offer between £1m and £10m of public liability cover.

Personal trainer insurance – what else can it cover?

Other covers to think about include:

Employers’ liability insurance

If your business has any staff, you’re legally required to have employers’ liability insurance. This can protect you if an employee becomes ill or injured as a result of your business.

Say you employ other personal trainers. If one of them injured themselves while training and they blamed your business, insurance could cover the compensation claim.

Keep in mind that if you’re legally required to have employers’ liability cover and you’re found to be uninsured, you may face a fine of up to £2,500 for every day you’re not covered.

Business equipment insurance

Dumbbells, barbells and even sound systems – as a personal trainer, you probably have some very important, and often expensive equipment.

You’d want to replace this equipment sharpish and get back on your feet quickly if it was damaged or stolen.

Insurance can protect your specialist equipment, giving you the peace of mind that you can comfortably get on with your job should anything happen.

Business buildings insurance

If you run your business from home or from a premises like a gym, you should consider buildings insurance.

If you rent the premises, just make sure you check with your landlord first to find out what’s already covered.

You can add contents and stock insurance to your policy if you need them. Contents insurance can cover you for contents you own (or you’re responsible for), which are located within the business premises.

Personal accident insurance

Sure, you’re pushing your clients, but you’re working hard too – accidents and injuries can happen. You can add insurance that covers you if you’re injured at or outside of work.

Insurance can cover you for serious injury or death caused by an accident. The money paid out could be used for things like lost income, medical costs and hospitalisation benefit, up to the limit of the policy.

Where to get personal trainer insurance

Several places offer personal trainer insurance, so before deciding where to buy, it’s a good idea to compare quotes.

Through online broker Simply Business, you can compare quotes from a large number of insurers without having to fill in multiple forms. They’re specialists in small business insurance, with over 425,000 customers in the UK.

Just get your details ready, fill in their simple form, and you could get your quotes online in minutes.

Written by:
Back to Top