Setting up a limited company: How to issue shares

How many shares should you issue when forming a limited company, how do you do this, and how much share capital do you need?

When you’ve come up with a killer business idea, you’ll be itching to get your start-up off the ground as quickly as possible. Thinking about which legal structure to choose won’t be what gets you out of bed in the morning, but it’s important to take some time to think this through.

Decisions you make now can have a big impact on the future, especially where co-founders are concerned. The structure of your business can affect your ability to raise finance, as well as determining legal ownership, entitlement to dividends payments, and liability should the business fail.

One of the first things to decide is whether to register as self-employed and become a sole trader, form a partnership or set up a limited company or limited liability partnership. For more on what each of these structures involves, the pros and cons of each and what your respective duties and obligations are, read our guide on how to choose the right legal structure for your start-up.

Should you decide to form a limited company (which you can do here), you’ll need to nominate shareholders and directors, decide how many shares to allocate, and how much share capital to put in at the beginning. Here are some pointers:

Shareholders and directors

Companies are managed by directors and owned by shareholders (also referred to as ‘members’). You can be a director and a shareholder.

Shares are issued (or allotted) to shareholders to ultimately define their liability should the company fold, and at least one share must be issued from the outset – although variations can be made later down the line. On a day-to-day basis, the number of shares also denotes the shareholders’ entitlement to dividends and votes in shareholder meetings.

What are the types of shares companies can issue?

  • Ordinary shares
    Normally, ordinary shares are issued by small companies, which will have full rights to dividends, voting at meetings and entitlement to capital should the company fold.
  • Preference shares
    However, the company could issue ‘preference shares’, which have a fixed right to dividends and no voting rights. In addition, ordinary share capital could be sub-divided into segments denoted by A, B, C etc. This set-up facilitates the payment of dividends at different rates.
  • Alphabet shares
    You may come across this where shares are being issued to employees, for instance, where the company wants to reward its staff with dividends according to their seniority or performance. However, these so-called ‘alphabet shares’ are complex and beyond the scope of this article.

How many shares should I issue?

Contrary to popular belief, for small companies there isn’t really a recipe to follow when deciding on the share structure.

Building a website for your business idea is easier than you might think. Our online tool ranks the top website builders that offer free trials.

If you are to be the only director and also the only shareholder, you could simply issue one share to yourself.

Alternatively, you could issue a very large numbers of shares, perhaps to reflect the shareholders’ investments pound-for-pound. But the shareholders must actually physically pay for their shares, so this could be costly.

Most commonly, you see one hundred shares issued in small companies. This allows the allocation of the shares to reflect the shareholders’ commitment to/control of the company, while being inexpensive.

If you are unsure about how many shares to issue or the structure, you should seek professional advice from an accountant. Otherwise, you could end up making the share structure unnecessarily complex or not fit for purpose.

What is share capital?

Share capital is the total value of the different types of shares that have been issued to shareholders. For example, if you have decided to issue one hundred ordinary shares at a nominal value of £1 each, then the aggregate nominal value of share capital will be £100.

Share capital value is usually noted alongside share premium (which is the value the shares are actually sold at, which is likely to be above the nominal value). The phrase ‘share capital’ is also often used interchangeably with ‘statement of capital’ to denote the number and type of shares issued, as well as their value. You can find out more about doing this in our guide on how to register a company.

How do I issue shares?

This list only deals with very straightforward share issues; for example, where there are no unusual restrictions in the Articles of Association/shareholders’ agreement and there is only one type of share being issued.

  1. If the company was incorporated under Companies Act 1985, check that the company has sufficient ‘authorised share capital’ to issue the required number of new shares. Authorised share capital is effectively the ‘pot’ from which shares can be issued.
  2. Check that the directors have authority to issue new shares. This could either exist in the company’s Articles of Association or in an ordinary resolution passed by the shareholders. If no such authority exists, the shareholders must hold a general meeting to pass an ordinary resolution to do so or produce written resolutions, which must then be filed with Companies House within 15 days after it is passed.
  3. Check that the issue of the shares complies with any pre-emption rights or other restrictions in the Companies Act, Articles of Association or any shareholders’ agreement. Again, if there are any restrictions, you may be able to get them varied by holding a general meeting or written resolution.
  4. Write to or verbally offer the shares to the intended recipients.
  5. Hold a general meeting or produce a written resolution to approve the issue. If a meeting is held, produce minutes of the meeting and file within the company’s statutory records. If a written resolution is completed, file within the company’s statutory records.
  6. Upon receipt of acceptances and the payments due from the recipient(s), complete the Companies House form SH01 which can be downloaded from Companies House’s website. Send the completed form to Companies House at the address shown on the form. The form must be filed within one month of the allotment of shares.
  7. Complete the share certificates and file them in the company’s statutory books. This should be done within two months of the board making the allotment.
  8. Update the company’s Register of Allotments and the Register of Shareholders which is located within the company’s statutory books. This should be done within two months of the board making the allotment. If the shares were paid for, or partly paid for, by transferring assets to the company (ie they are paid for other than in cash), you will also need to consider if any stamp duty may be payable on the transfer of the assets.

Where can I find out the share capital?

The shareholders and the numbers of shares each of them has taken up at the point of formation of the company must be stated in the Memorandum of Association.

However, if there have been variations (new issues or transfers), then the best thing to do is check the latest Annual Return, as a full list of members should have been attached. If you do not have a copy of the Annual Return, you can obtain one from Companies House for just £1.

TaxAssist Accountants is the UK’s largest network providing tax and accountancy advice and services specifically for small businesses. For a free initial consultation with your local TaxAssist Accountant, call 0800 0523 555 or simply fill in this form .  

This article is intended to inform rather than advise and is based on legislation and practice at the time. Taxpayers’ circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this article, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.


(will not be published)