How to enter
Thinking of entering The Start-Up Series? Here's how...
Entries for each month’s competition open on the 1st and close on the 14th of every month.
- The application form will not be live outside of the competition window.
- You can still register your interest when the application form is not live to be reminded when the next competition window is active.
The Start-Up Series is for early-stage businesses.
Founders should be looking to receive funding from investors in exchange for equity in their business. Because the investment will come from an SEIS fund, businesses considering entering need to satisfy the following criteria set by HMRC:
- You must be a UK resident and run a UK-based business.
- You must be over 18 years-old at the time of entry.
- Your business must have been trading for less than 21 months and have no more than £200,000 in gross assets.
- You must employ no more than 25 staff.
- Certain financial services and property businesses are unlikely to qualify.
- Full eligibility criteria can be found here along with details of how to apply for SEIS assurance. Businesses do not need to have to applied for SEIS assurance before entering but should consider doing so imminently, regardless of your success in The Start-Up Series. SEIS assurance is likely to be requested from any early stage investor.
Register your interest on The Start-Up Series website.
When the competition window is open, you will be directed to the competition online application form and asked for either a two minute video or a two page document describing your business (it’s as easy as that).
If you are successful after the first stage, you will be asked to provide more detailed information about you and the plans for your business, including financial information and marketing plans.
If you reach the final of the competition you will be invited to a half-day face to face consultation with the Worth Capital team in London – a valuable chance to stress test your idea and plans.