6 e-commerce business ideas you can start up today
Mobile apps, dropshipping, consultancy; the online world offers a wealth of opportunities for e-commerce businesses that can be set up quickly and easily
With the growing number of e-commerce shops hitting the internet daily, there is no reason why you can’t jump in and start your own online business as well. In fact, starting your own e-commerce shop is easier, more flexible, and less expensive than owning and operating a brick-and-mortar shop.
Not sure where to start?
Well, the first step in your e-commerce start-up endeavor is to come up with a solid idea. Now, this might be actual concrete business start-up ideas or more generalised ideas that will need fine-tuning as the process of beginning your start-up unfolds. The point is, there needs to be an idea.
And here are six amazing ideas you can start working on right now:
1. Create a mobile app
As mobile app revenue continues to climb to the tune of $37bn by the end of 2017, it is no wonder so many online business owners are seeking to create their own mobile app. You could:
- Capitalise on the power of smartphones and the fact that everyone wants to manage every aspect of their lives from their phones
- Utilise online software if you aren’t sure how to build an app from scratch
Figure out what your mobile app will do. Will you offer people special deals or coupons? Perhaps you will provide a service. Define your target audience, put together a sound idea that will address that audience’s needs, and get started right away.
2. Start a dropshipping business
Dropshipping is a great start-up idea that offers business owners a lot of flexibility. Since you don’t have to worry about the manufacturing or shipping of any physical products, you are free to spend your time marketing the items you sell and generating a profit.
Building a website for your business idea is easier than you might think. Our online tool ranks the top website builders that offer free trials.
The dropshipping business method is inexpensive, easy to set up, and best of all, the ideas are limitless when it comes to what you can sell:
- Drones – as technology continues to advance, you can expect customers to continue seeking out the next best techie item. It is expected that drone sales will continue to rise exponentially over the next few years. Find your drone niche and start selling them to excited customers today
- Matcha tea – health nuts are crazy about the benefits matcha tea provides. And with tea being the second most popular drink after water, you can bet a large customer base will want to buy from you if you market your product in a way that benefits them. Consider dropshipping your own matcha tea products from AliExpress using Oberlo and see just what kind of sales you can generate
- Lace bras – if you are looking to get into a specialty niche in the retail industry, lace bras is just the place to start. Not only can you sell this popular clothing item and gain a large following of customers that don’t want to spend hundreds on similar items in competing high-end shops, you can market other lingerie items as well to garner more sales
Dropshipping is an excellent option for those wanted to build a start-up that will cater to a large, worldwide audience and scale quickly. Best of all, importing dropshipped items directly into your e-commerce shop is a cinch, and having items sent to your customers only requires a few clicks.
3. Sell your work
Whether you are a photographer, artist, musician, or some other creative, an easy way to start selling online to a potentially global customer base is to build an online shop marketing your work. You could:
- Use your e-commerce shop to beautifully display your best work and generate income in the process, rather than rent space in a brick-and-mortar shop
- Take something you love to do and share it with people as passionate as you
The great thing about this start-up idea is that you can sell physical products that you may already have on hand, or digital products that are easily uploaded to your e-commerce shop and sell them as downloads.
4. Specialised retail
If you have an idea that pinpoints a specialty niche, get started selling right now. The truth is, there is a customer base for everything. You just have to tap into it and market yourself effectively. This will bring people to your e-commerce shop in droves and make you an instant success. You should:
- Start selling instantly to people all over the world once you have products on hand
- Consider using the dropshipping business model to make things even easier for you
Some great niche ideas include specialty diet foods or cookbooks, crafting supplies, self-care items, or even a specialised subscription box full of goodies your audience is dying to get each month.
Do you have an in-depth knowledge about SEO best practices, social media networking, or marketing? Then starting up an easily scalable consulting firm online is the way to go and gives you the option to:
- Maintain complete control over your client base
- Build a strong portfolio as you increase your online presence (while still getting paid) and watch your online business grow exponentially as word gets out that you are the best
Help your clients develop business plans, create schedules for them to follow, guide them towards content their audience wants more of, and charge a premium for it. The more success you garner your clients, the more money you can make, and the bigger your reputation in the consulting industry grows. It’s a win-win for everyone involved.
6. Teach an online course
Generating passive income can be achieved by creating and selling online courses. And, while it definitely takes some effort upfront (after all, you need to build a website, create the online courses, and generate enough traffic to make money) you can start right now and reap the reward later. Here’s why it’s good opportunity for you:
- You already have the knowledge, you just need to share it with others for a set price
- Set it and forget once all is finished, or keep creating more courses
- There is a satisfaction to helping your community with something you know a lot about
In the end, aside from the initial effort required to create your online course, there is very little you have to do once your e-commerce site starts raking in the money.
So long as you have a solid idea, you can build an e-commerce store and start making money right away. Just take that idea, do a little research on how to start a website, and get to work.