EPOS till systems and till rentals
Find out about EPOS till rental and lease options today to get the best quotes and deals
For shop-based businesses the till is the unsung hero. Try to make do with a subpar one, and you risk damaging your reputation, slowing down your staff, and ultimately wrecking havoc with your bottom line.
But get the right till on board and you will make taking payments a breeze and build trust with your customers.
Here, we’ll help you get it right first time.
In this article you will learn:
- What is an EPOS till?
- How can they help my small business?
- What do they cost?
- Who are the best providers today?
What is an EPOS till?
EPOS stands for Electronic Point of Sale, and an EPOS till is simply a computerised system that lets people pay for goods or services.
You might wonder why we are not just talking about tills. That’s because there are so many additional benefits and affordable options for EPOS tills nowadays that the non-digital variety are hardly used anymore.
If like most small businesses, you are on the look-out for a simple way of speeding up your sales and cutting costs, EPOS tills may be just what you need. Now, here is everything you’ll want to know.
How do they work?
EPOS systems are nothing you won’t have seen a million times before as a customer.
They usually look like a computer device hooked up to a cash drawer, but can include a number of options like touch screens, customer displays, scanners and printers.
As a small business owner, you can adapt your EPOS till to suit your unique retail needs. The most common uses for small businesses and startups are:
- Record sales
- Track your stock levels
- See the most up-to-date prices
- Provide top customer service
- Stay on top of your your sales and taxes
Why use an EPOS till?
EPOS tills are helping more and more small businesses and startups achieve what you might think was unachievable. Reduce costs and improve customer service. That’s thanks to the capacity for technology to take retail businesses to a new level.
Research shows that businesses that don’t use EPOS tills slice on average 3% off their turnover from human errors
Here are the five main areas where businesses are seeing results with EPOS tills:
- Improve your ROI – EPOS systems will help you move from a cash drawer to an information hub. Not only will you speed up your checkout and up your sales volume, but you can even add on prompts for cross-selling or up-selling, which is sure to drive a return on investment.
- Enhance the customer experience – Some people like to think of POS as more “point of service” than “point of sale”. A key benefit of EPOS tills are the extra value they offer your customers. You cannot underestimate thanking them for choosing you, for example. And if they enjoy shopping with you, they are more likely to come back.
- Reduce human error – We all make mistakes, but they can be very costly for businesses. Lower the risk of miskeying amounts with the help of technology.
- Rack up customer loyalty – Why settle for retailing when you can do “intelligent retailing”? EPOS tills give you easy access to customer information, which can help you plan promotions that build customer loyalty.
- Stay on top of your stock – EPOS systems are not just the starting point for your database on your customers. They also help you plan various areas of your business more efficiently. It can be hard for small business owners to keep an eye on their stock levels, but did you know your till could lend a helping hand?
How does EPOS till rental work?
Did you know that till rental and till hire are not the same thing?
Typically, till rental will be offered on an open-ended, or short-term basis. For example, if your business is running a seasonal event, and you just need a plug-and-go till system for a week or two, till rental will be ideal.
But, you’ve guessed it, till hire tends to work on a fixed-term basis. This is a great option if you are keen to try before you buy, and often you can choose to purchase the system at the end of the term.
Because till hire is based on a contractual agreement, you also tend to get more support, such as on-site installation and training.
- Till rental – Rent short term, perfect for seasonal events
- Till hire – Hire on a fixed-term basis, with the option of buying at the end
Why rent EPOS till systems?
Renting EPOS till systems is a great idea for businesses that only need a till system for short bursts, or would just prefer not to invest heavily in equipment. This is the most flexible option, which is ideal for small businesses who need a card machine, but may have a tight cash flow structure.
Customers today have high demands on the places they shop, even if those businesses are small or just starting out. Not having a till system that is up to the job may make your company seem like a dinosaur, even if you are the freshest of start-ups.
Although buying an EPOS till may seem like the most cost-effective option in the long run, you need to consider how frequently you would need to replace everything to keep up with developments in the technology of retail.
Judging by the current pace of change, it may be sooner than you think. This may leave you stuck with underperforming equipment, while your competitors race ahead – along with your customers.
An additional benefit is the added support and maintenance you get on a hire or rental contract. Everything from call-out assistance to easy upgrades are likely to be included in your agreement.
Of course, cost is a big factor when making this decision. But many small businesses find monthly rental costs easier to meet than larger one-off lumps.
These payments have the added benefit of being fixed and tax deductible. Plus, this model scales well, so you can easily add more devices as your business grows.
So, the main benefits are:
- Flexibility – Protect your cash flow
- Customer service – Keep your customers happy
- Assistance – Get on-tap support
- Ease – Plan your bitesize payments
- Scalability – Adapt to the needs of your business
How much do EPOS till rentals cost?
Remember that included in your offer will be options not just for the hardware (like the monitor and scanner) and the software (i.e. the operating system), but you may also get to add in support with installation and maintenance.
If you are buying your till system, you can purchase these elements separately. But for till hires and rentals, it is even easier for business owners who are more practical than technical, as you’ll be able to get everything you need all in one bundle.
As a rule of thumb, the more complex the system, the more expensive it will be to rent or buy. However, this is not always the case. Read our reviews below to help protect you from going for features you don’t actually need.
So, how much do they cost? EPOS till systems generally cost upwards of £20 per week to rent. This compares to an outright purchase price in the region of £1,800. See the table below for some typical costs for a very basic system, without any additional features.
|Rental||£20-£40/week||Short-term sales events|
|Purchase cost||£1,800||Permanent sales locations|
Of course, prices vary from model to model and plan to plan – to find out how much you should be spending, simply fill in the form at the top of the page.
Obviously, the more EPOS tills you need installing, the more expensive the EPOS rental costs. However, you also often benefit from economies of scale on larger rental agreements.
To find out about alternative pricing options, visit our EPOS system costs page.
Why should I buy or rent?
Think about how much technology has changed over the past decade alone. Can you imagine what tech developments could be come?
Actually, few people can. That’s why as a small business owner it’s crucial to be in the best position to adapt to any changes that come your way.
Because no one can predict what the future of retail will look like, it is often more cost-effective to rent or hire EPOS tills, rather than purchasing one outright. That way, you can easily opt for an upgrade when the next best thing comes along.
How do I choose the right EPOS system for me?
When deciding which EPOS tills make the most sense for you and your business, it is essential to focus not just on the costs, but on your potential for a great return on investment.
Of course, the “best” EPOS system varies from company to company, and industry to industry. But to give you a better idea, here are the questions you will want to ask yourself:
- What are my payments like? – Think about the number and size of the transactions you are currently processing to give you an idea of your scale now.
- How much are you willing to invest? – You may not yet have a figure to mind. You can just consider whether you would want a basic system to start with, or one with all the trimmings.
- How tech-savvy are you? – Of course, you don’t need to be a computer scientist to work an EPOS till. But if you think you would benefit from some support getting set up, make sure that is included with the option you pick.
In a nutshell, you just want to find the EPOS till with the right specs at the right price, for you.
Who are the best EPOS till rental suppliers right now?
If you are a UK-based small business owner, you are in luck because some of the world’s most trusted EPOS rental suppliers are on your doorstep.
And these three are the ultimate cream of the crop:
Just remember, the perfect one for you will depend on your specific business requirements. Read below find out which one that would be.
|Great for: Newcomers to EPOS tills who want an easy and affordable option with great support
As the UK’s largest EPOS till rental business, you will be in great hands with EPOS Now.
The company is multi-award winning, and trusted by over 30,000 businesses in over 100 countries.
Maybe it’s not so surprising then that they are the the highest rated POS company on TrustPilot.
Why choose EPOS Now?
- Range – EPOS Now are experts in retail as well as hospitality. This means they will be able to help with a variety of business needs.
- Flexibility – You can choose to use the system as a stand-alone option, or integrate it with your current payment systems, CRM, accounting system and ordering platform.
- Price – You can get an EPOS Now till system from as little as £10 per week, making them one of the most affordable options available today.
- Support – Benefit from 24/7 support and integral high-level security, so you can feel well taken care of.
- User experience – It’s intuitive and easy-to-use, with staff training taking around just 15 minutes. Reporting is also easy-to-use and very worthwhile.
Clover, from First Data
|Great for: Smart small businesses looking for tailored solutions to help them grow and wow their customers
Clover, from First Data Merchant Solutions, is at the cutting-edge of technology when it comes to taking payments the smart way.
Their EPOS systems are designed with small UK businesses specifically in mind, and their cloud-based and highly customisable platforms are hard to beat for retail, hospitality, and health and beauty businesses.
Why choose Clover?
- Range – Clover are leaders in a range of industries, from retail to health and beauty.
- Flexibility – As your customers expect, Clover accepts all major payment types, and both contactless and mobile payments.
- High tech – Let the tech do the admin: join up your stock level tracking with your accounting software to take the pain out of staying on top of your sales.
- Support – Take advantage of their range of apps (including Clover Station, Clover Mini, and Clover Mobile), so you can stay connected from wherever you are.
- User experience – Their software is intuitive and easy to get to grips with. Again and again, their customers describe it as simple, safe and secure.
Charlie Belcher, Owner of Body and Sol Beauty Salon
|Great for: Small business owners who want to be up and running in EPOS in no time, and benefit from top EPOS support
EPOS Direct offer scalable, touch-screen EPOS till systems from as little as £19.99 per week. Get their plug-and-go options delivered straight to your door for self-installation, and be up and running in a flash.
- Ease – EPOS Direct are the go-to for a pain-free set-up, and this is also one of the simplest systems to use.
- Flexibility – You can keep it simple, or opt to get more out of your device (beyond its screen and chip and PIN functions) by selecting from a range of add-ons. These can even be added at a later date if you like.
- Support – EPOS Direct provide 24/7 support to their customers. Their system is fast and not internet dependent.
- User experience – EPOS Direct are a popular option with over 20,000 users worldwide, and ranks 15th in the Global Inventory Software Market.
Break it down for me
In summary, EPOS tills are helping more and more small businesses to:
- Work smarter
- Take advantage of tech to streamline their business
- Drive a good return on investment
- Improve their customer service
- Stay on track of their sales, taxes and stock levels
To find out what they could do for you, below is a handy form to let you take this conversation further.
Compare EPOS till system rentals today
For the majority of small business owners and startups, EPOS till rental offers the best return on investment. You know your business inside out. Now all that’s left is to talk to the people who know EPOS systems better than anyone.
Just complete the quick form below to start speaking to the suppliers who best match with you today. Comparing quotes this way is free, fast, and can help save your precious time and money.