Payzone UK: A guide to the payment service provider
Payzone is one of the UK's best-known providers of merchant services. Find out more about the company - and compare credit card processing quotes - with our detailed guide
This article will answer the following questions:
01 | What is Payzone?
02 | Which merchant services does Payzone offer?
03 | How much does Payzone cost?
04 | Can I compare payment provider quotes?
What is Payzone?
Founded in 1989, Payzone originally traded as Alphyra and ITG Group. Today, over £1.2bn’s worth of transactions are handled through Payzone each and every year.
Now a leading payment services provider, Payzone has been providing payment solutions to small businesses – and consumers – across the UK specifically for over 25 years.
The company offers a range of services, processing everything from debit and credit card transactions, online payments, and mobile payments to mobile phone top-ups, M50 motorway toll payments, travel cards, pay-by-phone-parking, and more.
Payzone UK specialises in providing services that meet the specific yet varying needs of small businesses, focussing on making payments easier for retailers, businesses, and consumers.
Building a website for your business idea is easier than you might think. Our online tool ranks the top website builders that offer free trials.
Which merchant services does Payzone offer?
Payzone offers a range of solutions for processing credit and debit card payments – be they in a brick-and-mortar store or via the world wide web – as well as a few useful extra capabilities…
Payzone card terminals enable merchants to take face-to-face payments quickly and efficiently.
To enable businesses to process credit or debit card payments in a brick-and-mortar establishments, Payzone offers three types of card machine:
- Countertop card machines – Compact and easy to use, these countertop card machines simply need to be plugged into an electric socket and be connected to a telephone line or broadband network. These are ideal for cafes and shops.
- Portable card machines – With Bluetooth connectivity, portable card machines enable merchants to take payments anywhere within 50 meters of the base unit, making them perfect for bars and restaurants in which wait staff need to take payments at tables.
- Mobile card machines – Thanks to a built-in SIM, mobile card machines remove the need for a wifi or telephone connection to take a payment. The terminal will connect to the strongest mobile phone GPRS network that’s available, making these machines ideal for delivery businesses and pop-up shops.
Online payment processing
Online payments are now more popular than ever, and Payzone’s range of online card processing options allow businesses to take card payments online.
Payzone offers four ways to process online card payments:
- Pay by link – This allows merchants to send payment links to customers. Once they’ve clicked the link, the payment amount is automatically populated, so they simply need to input their card details and press pay.
- E-invoicing – With e-invoicing, merchants can email invoices directly to customers, allowing them to take payments anywhere with internet access.
- Pay pages – By linking your website’s online shopping baskets to a Payzone Pay Page, you can take secure, fast payments. The pay page can also be fully branded with your brand identity so it fits seamlessly into the rest of your site.
Phone payment processing
Whether merchants opt for a countertop, portable, or mobile card payment terminal, they will also be able to process transactions where the cardholder is not present – that is, over the phone – via a virtual terminal.
Using an internet-connected computer or tablet, merchants simply complete an online form to instantly process a secure payment while taking details over the phone.
Payzone’s handy extras
Payzone does not offer credit cards. It does, however, offer a range of payment services and solutions to compliment its payment processing solutions.
These services offer consumers quick and efficient, hassle-free ways to make payments, whilst allowing retailers to boost footfall, increase revenue, and earn commission.
Payzone retailers can offer a range of services, including:
- Utilities and bills – Provide payments for major energy and gas suppliers, council tax, and rent
- Mobile top-ups and SIMs – Provide mobile top-ups and SIM cards for all major mobile networks
- International calling cards – A range of international calling cards that allow customers to make low cost calls to friends and family abroad
- The Health Lottery and LottoSocial – Allow customers to enter the Health Lottery and manage their LottoSocial account
- Transport and ticketing – Allow customers to pay the Dart charge or top up their smart transport tickets
- Parcel collection – Allow customers to easily collect their parcels by becoming a Hermes partner
- Prepaid debit cards – Customers can top up prepaid debit cards from a range of providers
- Online gaming – Provide PokerStars and Neosurf gaming vouchers so customers can play safely and securely
How much does Payzone cost?
While Payzone doesn’t charge joining or exit fees, it also doesn’t offer a one-size-fits all pricing model – instead providing free, bespoke quotes to those who request them.
So, we can’t tell you how much becoming a Payzone merchant is likely to cost you.
However, in being connected to a local specialist who’ll help you to price your package individually, you can be sure you’ll get the best plan for your business, and won’t end up paying for services that you don’t need.
Can I compare Payzone merchant services with other providers?
The information on this page should help you to understand and compare the different options on offer from Payzone.
However, if you’re not sure whether Payzone is right for you and you’d like more bespoke details, you should speak to experts today – we can help with this.
These quotes will be tailored to you and will help your business to develop significantly. This process is free, quick and easy, and it could save your business time, money and resources.
Get started now!