Worldpay UK: A guide to the payment service provider
Worldpay UK is one of the country’s most popular merchant account services providers. Find out why, compare it with its rivals, and get quotes for your business with our guide
This article will answer the following questions:
You probably already know Worldpay as a leading payment processing provider. So far, it has supported over 400,000 merchants across 146 countries worldwide, which boils down to 26 million transactions every day.
Worldpay may be one of the most well-known merchant service providers, but is it the best payment solution for your small business?
There are two ways businesses can benefit from Worldpay: Worldpay Payment Gateway for ecommerce, and Worldpay Card Machines for face-to-face or virtual purchases.
If your business is brick-and-mortar as well as online, Worldpay makes it easy to manage all your sales from a single online account. Plus, you avoid any surprise bills with ultra-transparent pricing and excellent fraud protection.
Below, we provide a full-fat (and extra clear) breakdown of Worldpay’s full pricing, merchant services, safety record and customer support – and we compare it to its top rivals, so you can check whether you're getting the best deal.
What is Worldpay?
Business owners tend to like Worldpay. In the 2017 Nilson Report, it was voted the UK’s number one payment processing solution by 250,000 small businesses.
Worldpay has spent the last three decades helping businesses like British Airways and Starbucks, as well as start-ups, accept a range of payment types – online and offline – from all over the world.
The brand offers over 300 different payment methods, and is the UK’s most popular payment provider overall. The small businesses that use Worldpay include:
Worldpay also works with some of the most innovative and fast-paced ecommerce businesses in the world, including any website created with Wix.
On average, Worldpay processes almost 400 mobile, online and in-store transactions every second.
Which merchant services does Worldpay offer?
Worldpay's merchant portal allows you to seamlessly accept a range of different payments, including card payments, online payments, mail and phone payments, and email payments.
It offers two main merchant services:
Worldpay's online payment gateway
What does this mean for customers?
The payment gateway gives your customers more ways to pay through the Virtual Terminal and pay per link features.
These handy touches make online payments as simple as possible, so more of your customers make it to the checkout.
Customers don’t even need to leave your site to make a payment. Instead, they can follow these three simple steps:
- Add items to their online shopping basket
- Enter their card details on a Worldpay hosted payment page or an integrated payment page
- Their details are then sent to the payments gateway, where the payment is authorised
And for businesses?
As well as making life easier for customers, Worldpay's payment gateway also offers a number of benefits for merchants:
- Flexibility – Worldpay has a package built for businesses of all shapes and sizes
- Business Manager Tool – This built-in feature lets you manage all your transactions, as well as access key reports and insights
- Fraud protection – Worldpay is known for its advanced fraud protection, reliability, and user-friendly system
Take a look at our guide to the best payment gateways and online payment systems to compare Worldpay's gateway with other options.
Worldpay card machines
Take a look at our review of the best card machines for small businesses to see where Worldpay ranks.
Worldpay card machines make it easy for your customers to pay using most major electronic payments methods, including contactless and mobile wallets like Apple Pay and Google Pay.
And because Worldpay has some robust technology built in, payments are then authorised and processed speedily, giving you and your customers an all-round hassle-free experience.
Both countertop and wireless card machines let merchants accept credit and debit chip card payments, but they also feature every phone-lover’s favourite: near field communication (NFC) technology. This means you can accept contactless payments and mobile wallets as well.
Worldpay stands out in being ultra-committed to safety and security. That’s why its card machines also feature tamper-resistant hardware, as well as EMV compatible features that help to prevent fraud.
You can also access online transaction reports, which will allow you to obtain an in-depth understanding of how your customers shop, as well as technical support and equipment replacement to keep you up and running.
Wifi free payments
Wireless card machines offer enhanced flexibility, allowing you to take payments at your table, at the bar, or anywhere in store. This saves you counter space and opens up multiple points of sale.
Dodgy internet where you are? Worldpay lets you take payment with Bluetooth through a telephone line, so you can make a sale even when your Wi-Fi is down (or never existed).
Small businesses like Worldpay for its easy-to-understand pricing, without the surprises. Simply choose which service you’d like: pay as you go (charged at a percentage of each transaction) or pay monthly.
Here’s how they break down:
Worldpay's charges are headache-free
Worldpay’s pricing is designed to be as flexible and business-friendly as possible. It offers plans to suit small businesses and growing start-ups, and to make taking face-to-face and online payments easy.
The small print
Are there any hidden fees? No – you know where you stand with Worldpay. As with most merchant accounts, there are also no setup fees.
It’s also free to accept international currencies, which will save you a bundle if you’ve got your sights set on reaching global customers.
You’ll also find it’s free to process refunds, and chargebacks are only £15 – that’s the same as PayPal, though iZettle does give you a £250 monthly transfer protection coverage.
You can read more on credit card processing costs here.
With both pay as you go and pay monthly, you’ll get all the features you need to take payments securely:
Worldpay's Monthly Packages
Worldpay’s tidy monthly plans are ideal for business owners who like:
- Simplicity – One monthly fee that includes all standard charges; suitable for growing businesses
- Fixed monthly payments – Pay the same price each month, including transaction and terminal rental; suitable for businesses that want to know costs in advance
- Custom packages – Combined regular monthly charges and transaction fees that vary depending on volume and card; suitable for established businesses
Worldpay pay as you go
Designed to simplify charges, the pay as you go payment structure is perfect for business that are seasonally focused, and don’t take payments all year round.
- There are no sign up fees
- You just pay a flat rate of 2.75% plus a 20p transaction charge
- The service doesn’t tie you into expensive or lengthy contracts, so you can stop using it whenever you need to
- You get the same transaction rates for both debit and credit card payments
Worldpay’s pay as you go service can be used online, as well as on mobile phones and tablets.
How much bang do you get for your buck? All Worldpay packages and payment types can be upgraded with a range of optional bolt-ons, including:
- My Business Dashboard – Manage transactions and finances online.
- Virtual terminal – Take payments over the phone.
- Pay by link – Take payments via an email link.
- Online payments gateway – Offer payments through a website.
- Risk management – Check your payments for any fraud.
- Future Pay – Offer internet versions of traditional recurring payment methods.
How does Worldpay compare to its competitors?
Worldpay and PayPal are both known for top-notch security and user-friendly payments, but Worldpay fees are miles easier to get your head round – and that makes all the difference for small businesses needing to plan costs.
Some movers and shakers like iZettle, Square and SumUp offer more competitive transaction fees, and you can sometimes get your hands on your cash sooner. Worldpay offers expert support and ironclad security, but based purely on the numbers, here’s how they all compare:
|Card Reader||Device Cost||Transaction Fee||Settlement time|
|£59 (excl. VAT)||1.75%||2 – 3 business days|
|£39 (excl. VAT)||1.75%||Instant deposits (1% fee applies),
bank account times vary
|£29 (excl. VAT)||1.69%||Mostly 3 business days|
|£69 (or £4.99 p/m) (excl. VAT)||1.95% – 2.75%||3 – 4 days||£45(excl. VAT)||1% – 2.75%
(depending on sales)
|Instantly to PayPal,
bank account times vary
How does Worldpay keep my money safe?
Cashflow is so important for small businesses and start-ups, and you’re not alone in asking: will my money (and my customers’ payment details) be safe with Worldpay?
Worldpay has over 25 years’ experience in processing card payments, so you don’t have to worry about them dropping out of the game any time soon. Worldpay takes security very seriously, and you can benefit from:
- Robust fraud protection – A number of risk management monitors will flag anything fishy, plus you can set your own security standard (with CVC and AVS to verify online payments).
- PCI compliance – There’s a lot to get your head around when you start accepting card payments, but providers like Worldpay take care of the data compliance for you, using secure servers and anonymised tokens.
Building a good transaction experience into your sales process is proven to keep customers happy (and coming back).
What is Worldpay’s customer support like?
Worldpay has plenty of payment gateway and card machine support, available 24/7 both online and over the phone.
You can get a quick answer via Worldpay's FAQ page, which is surprisingly comprehensive, and there are even video tutorials to help you get up and running fast.
Alternatively, if you’re after a more personal touch, Worldpay offers 24/7 phone support. If you want to switch your small business payment systems to Worldpay, there are dedicated teams available to make the process as smooth as possible.
But how do small businesses rate Worldpay’s customer support? Worldpay has a very respectable four out of five stars on reviews site Feefo, with users praising the “first class service” – and only the odd grumble about call wait times.
★★★★★ (4.1) 81 verified customer user reviews on Feefo
What’s the verdict on Worldpay?
Still deciding whether Worldpay is for you? Here are the key points to remember:
- Faster payments – Worldpay makes payment a smooth process for you and your customers.
- Safer payments – Safety comes first for Worldpay, with robust fraud protection and PCI compliance.
- Simpler payments – Clear pricing is good for businesses who need predictable cashflows (though some rivals like iZettle offer more competitive fees).
- Flexibility – Choose between Pay Monthly and Pay As You Go, and upgrade with any bolt-ons you want.
- 24/7 support – Expert support is available whenever you need it.
Worldpay specialises in making your life easier, making your payments safer, and helping more customers through the check-out.
Some of the newer kids on the block are able to offer lower transaction fees, but if they come with a bunch of hidden fees and cashflow dramas, you’re not really making a saving. That’s why it’s a good idea to talk through your options properly.
Of course, it all depends on your individual needs, and the best way to decide who will give you the best deal is to talk directly to the suppliers.
That’s where we can help. Simply fill in the form at the top of this page, and we’ll match you with merchant account service providers who’ll get in touch to discuss the best rate for you. This process is fast and free – try it out today!